In her last major speech as US Ambassador to the United Nations, Samantha Power went on another protracted tirade against Russia today, declaring them a threat to the entire world order, and of a “deny and lie” policy about all of their misdeeds.
Power went on to warn President-elect Donald Trump against lifting any sanctions against Russia, insisting that the “punitive measures” can’t be removed without “emboldening Russia” internationally. She also accused Russia of attempting to influence multiple upcoming Western elections.
Power has made it a point in her last few months in office to react furiously to anything even tangentially related to Russia, expressing outrage back in September when Russia called a UN Security Council meeting over the US attacking and killed 83 Syrian troops in the middle of a US-Russia brokered ceasefire.
Power’s time as ambassador will end on Friday, with Nikki Haley picked to replace her. Haley has mostly not been condemning Russia in recent comments, instead focusing on condemning the United Nations in general and accusing them of being unfair to Israel.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Tortured in Detention on US Soil, Qatari Man Maintains His Innocence - April 25th, 2018
- Chemical Inspectors Again Visit Syria's Douma, Collect More Samples - April 25th, 2018
- Russia Says Syria's New Air Defense Will Be Delivered Soon - April 25th, 2018
- Europeans Prepare Side-Deal to Try to Save Iran Nuclear Pact - April 25th, 2018
- Iran's President Rules Out Changes or Additions to Nuclear Deal - April 25th, 2018