In her last major speech as US Ambassador to the United Nations, Samantha Power went on another protracted tirade against Russia today, declaring them a threat to the entire world order, and of a “deny and lie” policy about all of their misdeeds.
Power went on to warn President-elect Donald Trump against lifting any sanctions against Russia, insisting that the “punitive measures” can’t be removed without “emboldening Russia” internationally. She also accused Russia of attempting to influence multiple upcoming Western elections.
Power has made it a point in her last few months in office to react furiously to anything even tangentially related to Russia, expressing outrage back in September when Russia called a UN Security Council meeting over the US attacking and killed 83 Syrian troops in the middle of a US-Russia brokered ceasefire.
Power’s time as ambassador will end on Friday, with Nikki Haley picked to replace her. Haley has mostly not been condemning Russia in recent comments, instead focusing on condemning the United Nations in general and accusing them of being unfair to Israel.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Airstrikes Hit Somalia, Killing 37 'Fighters' - November 20th, 2018
- US, Iraq Pound ISIS Targets in Eastern Syria - November 20th, 2018
- Fighting Rages in Yemen's Hodeidah After Pro-Saudi Forces Scrapped Ceasefire - November 20th, 2018
- North Korea Destroys Guard Posts Along Demilitarized Zone - November 20th, 2018
- US Sanctions Iranian, Russian Companies for Shipping Oil to Syria - November 20th, 2018