German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier lashed out at US President-elect Donald Trump today, insisting that the entire NATO alliance is concerned by his recent comments describing NATO as “obsolete,” saying he’s causing anxiety across the alliance.
Steinmeier reported speaking with other EU foreign ministers about Trump, saying there has “been no easing of tensions” between the various foreign ministers and the incoming Trump Administration. Since Trump’s election he has faced repeated condemnation from European officials.
At the same time, other German officials are hyping the idea of taking their own leadership position to “restore Western unity,” and expressed confidence that the US Congress would not allow Trump to reduce America’s role in the NATO alliance.
Trump tried to position his criticism of NATO in recent interviews as centering on convincing NATO to fight terrorism, claiming it had worked. He also faulted German Chancellor Angela Merkel for taking in “illegals.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Announces Plans for Massive Military Spending Hikes - August 16th, 2018
- Iraq Carries Out Airstrike Against ISIS 'Operations Room' in Syria - August 16th, 2018
- Senators to Resist Trump Plans to Cut Foreign Aid - August 16th, 2018
- As Costs Rise, Pentagon Announces Military Parade Postponed - August 16th, 2018
- US Threatens Further Turkey Sanctions if Pastor Not Freed Soon - August 16th, 2018