Embassy Says Boris Johnson Preparing a 'Witch-Hunt' Against Moscow
The Russian Embassy in London has issued a statement today accusing British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson and the rest of the Foreign Office of preparing a “witch-hunt against Moscow” as part of growing allegations across Western Europe and North America that Russia is trying to undermine their elections, and is driving populism.
The Russian statement itself followed comments from Johnson, who claimed that Russia “has been up to all sorts of tricks.” Johnson also told the House of Commons that “it is clear they are up to no good” and blamed them for hacking in the US election.
Ironically, the narrative surrounding Russia’s “fueling populism” worldwide also blames Russia for the Brexit campaign, which Boris Johnson himself was a major leader in. Despite this, Johnson appears more than willing to accept the anti-Russia story as “clear.”
Johnson did, however, seek to avoid picking fights with Russia over the matter, following up his allegations in the House of Commons by insisting it would be “folly” to continue to try to demonize Russia in respect to international policies.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Officials: Trump Will Ask for Sharp Increase in Military Spending - February 26th, 2017
- Pentagon Seeks to Expand US Involvement in Somalia Fight - February 26th, 2017
- Iran Starts Annual Navy Drill Near Strait of Hormuz - February 26th, 2017
- Iran Seeks to Buy Uranium Ore From Kazakhstan, Eyes Fuel Production - February 26th, 2017
- Trump Admin. Approves, Then Blocks, Informal North Korea Talks - February 26th, 2017