Claims There Are Several Ways to Sabotage the Pact
Despite previous reports in the Israeli press suggesting that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has softened on the P5+1 nuclear deal with Iran and was planning to urge Trump simply to enforce the deal strictly, Netanyahu today indicated his goal is to still see the agreement destroyed.
In an interview on 60 Minutes, Netanyahu claimed there were several ways to sabotage the pact, and that he had “about five” different ideas that he plans to discuss with Trump, each of which is intended to undo the nuclear deal internationally.
Netanyahu refused to elaborate on his ideas, but it is worth noting that the pact is heavily supported internationally, and the US is just one of seven signatories, meaning they could not readily destroy the entire agreement legally, nor sabotage it for the rest of the parties without facing a major backlash.
Indeed, this is the very reason why many initial opponents of the deal have warned Trump against a hasty attempt to kill it at this point, saying it is too late to do so without the US facing major diplomatic repercussions and the rest of the international community viewing them, not Iran, as the real problem.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Carrier Strike Group Arrives Off Korean Coast - April 29th, 2017
- Abbas Trying to Please Trump With Moves Against Hamas - April 28th, 2017
- US Deploys Troops in NE Syria as 'Buffer' Between Kurds, Turkey - April 28th, 2017
- Israel Announces Plan for 15,000 More Settlement Homes in East Jerusalem - April 28th, 2017
- Turkey Kills 11 Syrian Kurds as Cross-Border Clashes Continue - April 28th, 2017