Also Invites Obama to Visit Russia for Meeting Any Time
Russian President Vladimir Putin today told reporters in Lima that US President-elect Donald Trump had confirmed in their first telephone conversation last week a willingness to normalize Russian-American relations, saying he told Trump he was willing as well.
Officials on both sides had confirmed that the two were talking up the idea of a major improvement of relations. Trump campaigned on the idea of better relations with Russia and cooperation between the two sides in fighting against ISIS.
NATO nations have been complaining about Trump’s intention to improve ties with Russia, insisting that the alliance’s current hostile stance needs to continue. President Obama has been talking with European nations about continuing this acrimony.
Putin did, however, thank Obama for “years of joint work,” saying that Obama was welcome to visit Russia for a meeting any time he wants. Obama last visited Russia for the G20 summit in 2013.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UN Envoy: Yemen Factions Don't Want to Talk as Violence Escalates - March 14th, 2017
- US Missile Drones Deployed to North Korea Border - March 14th, 2017
- Anne Patterson Withdrawn From Defense Undersecretary Nomination - March 14th, 2017
- UN Blames Syria Bombing for Damascus Water Outages - March 14th, 2017
- Syrian Peace Talks Appear Dead as Rebels Boycott - March 14th, 2017