Russia Dismisses US 'Emotional Breakdown,' Open to Two-Day Ceasefire
With fighting continuing in the northern Syria city of Aleppo despite yesterday’s ultimatum, Secretary of State John Kerry now says the US is “on the verge” of suspending all talks with Russia related to Syria, saying talks with the Russians are “irrational” and threatening to “pursue other alternatives.”
This is believed to mean another influx of CIA weapons to “vetted” Syrian rebels, which almost always ends up meaning the al-Qaeda-linked Nusra Front in practice. Officials say the plan is for more weapons to attack Syrian and Russian artillery, but that Obama still won’t send anti-aircraft weapons.
Unnamed officials were quoted by the Wall Street Journal as saying they believe more arms would be “too late,” and that they are pressing for direct US military action against Syria and Russia, though President Obama is believed to be at least somewhat averse to starting a full-scale war with Russia over the Nusra Front.
Russian officials downplayed the US condemnations and threats, with Deputy FM Sergey Ryabkov saying that they were uninterested in the US “emotional breakdown” over Syria. He suggested a two-day ceasefire proposed by the international community should be explored, but rejected US demands for another week-long pause, citing the last week-long one, only last week, during which Nusra was constantly attacking them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Threatens Scud Strikes If Israel Attacks Again - March 26th, 2017
- US Troops Capture Syrian Military Airbase Near Raqqa - March 26th, 2017
- Airstrike Outside Damascus Kills 16 Civilians - March 26th, 2017
- Trump Gave Merkel $375 Billion 'Invoice' for NATO Expenses - March 26th, 2017
- US Airstrikes Killed Nearly 300 Civilians in Mosul - March 26th, 2017