With fighting continuing in the northern Syria city of Aleppo despite yesterday’s ultimatum, Secretary of State John Kerry now says the US is “on the verge” of suspending all talks with Russia related to Syria, saying talks with the Russians are “irrational” and threatening to “pursue other alternatives.”
This is believed to mean another influx of CIA weapons to “vetted” Syrian rebels, which almost always ends up meaning the al-Qaeda-linked Nusra Front in practice. Officials say the plan is for more weapons to attack Syrian and Russian artillery, but that Obama still won’t send anti-aircraft weapons.
Unnamed officials were quoted by the Wall Street Journal as saying they believe more arms would be “too late,” and that they are pressing for direct US military action against Syria and Russia, though President Obama is believed to be at least somewhat averse to starting a full-scale war with Russia over the Nusra Front.
Russian officials downplayed the US condemnations and threats, with Deputy FM Sergey Ryabkov saying that they were uninterested in the US “emotional breakdown” over Syria. He suggested a two-day ceasefire proposed by the international community should be explored, but rejected US demands for another week-long pause, citing the last week-long one, only last week, during which Nusra was constantly attacking them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Military Chief: Ready to Share Iran Intel With Saudis - November 16th, 2017
- Turkey: Raqqa Deal Shows Kurds Aim to Conquer Region, Not Fight ISIS - November 16th, 2017
- UN: Yemen Blockade Must End or Thousands Will Die - November 16th, 2017
- Lebanese PM Accepts France Invite: Will This End Crisis? - November 16th, 2017
- US Pacific Commander: North Korea Diplomacy Requires 'Credible Military Power' - November 16th, 2017