Though the FBI is refusing to provide any details on the matter, those familiar with the situation say they are conducting an investigation into the possible hacking of cellphones being used by top officials of the Democratic Party, adding to a litany of ongoing probes into hacks related to the Democrats.
The Clinton campaign said they were unaware of the report, and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee said they had not been contacted by the FBI regarding the possible hacking. DNC Chairwoman Donna Brazile, however, reported that “our struggle with the Russian hackers that we announced in June is ongoing,” saying she didn’t want to provide any specific updates on the matter.
The hacking of the DNC has become a hugely political issue, with Democrats repeatedly insisting, despite a total lack of publicly available evidence, that “everyone” knows Russia is behind the matter. A number of high-ranking Clinton campaign officials have also suggested that the hacks are part of a Russian campaign to get Republican nominee Donald Trump elected.
There’s even less detail in this cellphone matter, since it’s unclear that such a hacking even happened, with the sources just saying it’s suspected to have happened. That Brazile immediately raised Russia when asked on the matter, however, reflects that the party is still eager to try to pin everything that happened, or even might’ve happened, on a Russian plot.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Awash in US Arms, Vehicles, Complicate Afghan War - July 25th, 2017
- Blockading States Expand Qatar 'Terror' Blacklist - July 25th, 2017
- US SOCOM Chief Claims 60,000 to 70,000 ISIS Fighters Killed so Far - July 25th, 2017
- Trump Pledges Support for Lebanon's Anti-ISIS Push - July 25th, 2017
- Video Shows Six Minute Gunbattle in Which Jordan Guard Killed US Troops - July 25th, 2017