Warns Already Collapsed Ceasefire At Stake
Speaking today at the UN Security Council, Secretary of State John Kerry demanded that Syria and Russia immediately halt all warplane flights in Syria, insisting that there was no other way to avoid the escalation of the civil war, and that the ceasefire is at stake.
The ceasefire, of course, ended days ago, with the Syrian government withdrawing on Monday, citing an array of violations over the weekend, including a US airstrike which attacked a Syrian army base in Deir Ezzor, killing 83 soldiers.
Despite the ceasefire being clearly over, some US officials have suggested it isn’t over until they say it is. In practice, however, the ceasefire was for 7 days, ending September 19, and even the two-day extension the US and Russia agreed to last week would’ve meant the ceasefire expired tonight anyhow.
Kerry also angrily condemned Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Levrov’s call for an investigation into an attack against a UN aid convoy, insisting that everyone knows it was Russia’s fault already and that Russia is trying to invent facts. The White House insisted yesterday that Russia was to blame even if it was eventually discovered that Russia didn’t do it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Assures CIA of Support, Blames Media for Tensions - January 22nd, 2017
- Pentagon Reports ISIS Air War Costs Up to $11 Billion - January 22nd, 2017
- White House in 'Beginning Stages of Talks' to Move Embassy to Jerusalem - January 22nd, 2017
- Netanyahu Vows Unrestricted Building in East Jerusalem Settlements - January 22nd, 2017
- Yemen Reports First US Drone Strikes Under Trump - January 22nd, 2017