Noted Iran Had No Reason to Make Nukes
A newly leaked Colin Powell email, dated from 2015, offers new insight into Israel’s always nebulous nuclear weapons arsenal, referring to the nation as having 200 nuclear weapons, “all targeted on Tehran.” The comments were made addressing Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu’s speech against the Iran nuclear deal back in March of 2015.
Netanyahu railed against the deal, insisting it wouldn’t stop Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, prompting a dismissive response from Powell, who noted, “negotiators can’t get what he (Netanyahu) wants. Anyway, the Iranians can’t use one if they finally make one. The boys in Tehran know Israel has 200, all targeted on Tehran, and we have thousands.”
Powell went on to note that Iran couldn’t even realistically test a nuclear weapon without getting attacked, and that they would have no practical utility for a fledgling arsenal with huge amounts of weapons already targeted at them, and that actually getting one nuke would do damage to their security.
Powell went on to insist Netanyahu’s claims that Iran was “a year” away from a nuclear weapon were nonsense, and that it would take many years, adding that Iran has “every right to enrich for energy.” Since the signing of the P5+1 nuclear deal, however, Iran’s right to enrich is severely limited, even for such civilian purposes.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Somali Official: US Airstrike Killed 22 Soldiers - September 28th, 2016
- Philippines President: Upcoming War Games With US 'the Last One' - September 28th, 2016
- US to Send Yet More Ground Troops to Iraq for Mosul Fight - September 28th, 2016
- Congress Overwhelmingly Overrides Obama's Veto of 9/11 Victims Bill - September 28th, 2016
- US Drone Strike Kills 13 Civilians in Eastern Afghanistan - September 28th, 2016