Al-Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate, Jabhat al-Nusra, has released a new video showing the execution of at least 12 people identified as pro-government Syrians, claiming they were killed as punishment for the military’s advance into Harira Village.
Syrian forces had reportedly been shelling Harira from a nearby peak for several days, before finally going into the village today. It was unclear if Nusra actually held the village in the first place, or if it was some other rebel groups allied with them.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights had reported a previous video from Nusra showing 14 captives, with one reading a prepared statement asking the government not to enter Harira, and warning that all the detainees would be killed if they did.
Though the US has long objected to Russia and the Syrian government attacking Nusra, they have recently expressed concern that the group is a “global threat.” Despite this change in attitude, Secretary of State John Kerry urged Russia to use its influence to stop Syrian attacks on all rebels, including Nusra.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalans Rally at Barcelona Parliament, Push for Independence - October 21st, 2017
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017