Nine Reported Slain in US Strikes Against Manbij
At least 27 civilians were killed across Syria today, in a flurry of attacks across the country including airstrikes by both the Syrian and US militaries, as well as artillery shellings by the rebels against a government-held district.
The largest incident was in Tariq al-Baab, in Aleppo Province, where a Syrian military airstrike hit a crowded marketplace, killing 11 people. Another government airstrike killed five in Sheikh Said.
Meanwhile, US airstrikes against Manbij, which the US-backed Kurdish YPG is attacking, killed nine civilians, including seven children, while two more civilians were reported killed in the bombardment of government-held parts of Aleppo.
Aleppo has been the center of a lot of the recent fighting in Syria, with the government and al-Qaeda each controlling about half, and regularly trading strikes. Much of Aleppo has been destroyed, and civilian neighborhoods tend to be in the line of fire in both cases, raising the civilian tolls.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Estimates 50,000 ISIS Fighters Killed in Just Over Two Years - December 8th, 2016
- US Navy Refuses Pentagon Orders to Budget for Spending Cuts - December 8th, 2016
- ISIS Kills Dozens, Nears Syrian City of Palmyra - December 8th, 2016
- Human Rights Watch: US May Be Complicit in Saudi War Crimes in Yemen - December 8th, 2016
- No Evidence, But Pentagon Tries to Convince Turkey Iran Killed Their Troops - December 8th, 2016