Last night, reports began emerging about an Israeli airstrike killing Hezbollah commander Mustafa Badreddine in Syria. Yet those reports are now being revisited, with subsequent reports saying the cause of the explosion was unclear, and Hezbollah announcing an investigation into what happened.
Almost all local reports, which attributed the incident to Israeli attack first, had since simply talked of an “explosion” killing the commander, who according to conflicting reports was among the top ranked Hezbollah military figures since his brother-in-law, Imad Moughniyeh, was killed in an Israeli attack.
Badreddine was believed to be the highest ranking Hezbollah figure in Syria, and while Israeli officials are saying they rejoice at his death, they aren’t issuing their usual coy statements about his death being the result of some possible, albeit secret, plot.
Adding to the confusion, the White House issued its own statement later Friday insisting that no US or coalition warplanes were near the site in Damascus where Badreddine was killed, even though there had been no suggestion he was targeted by the US in the first place.
The explosion took place at a base near the Damascus airport, and Hezbollah says it is unclear what caused it, saying it might’ve been caused by “air raid, a missile or artillery fire.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Warns They'll Fight Jihadists If They Reject Idlib Deal - October 15th, 2018
- Scores of Taliban Killed in Afghanistan Fighting - October 15th, 2018
- Afghan High Peace Council Says Talk of US Troop Withdrawal Is Premature - October 15th, 2018
- US Companies Back Out of Saudi Events as Tensions Mount - October 15th, 2018
- Saudi Embassy in DC Cancels Annual Diplomatic Reception - October 15th, 2018