Three Suicide Car Bombers Targeted Base West of City
At least 13 Yemeni troops were killed today and dozens wounded when a group of three suicide car bombers attacked the naval base near the southern port city of al-Mukallah. One of the bombers also targeted the home of a top general in the same area.
According to officials, the first bomber targeted the gate to the base, destroying it, allowing a second bomber to drive into the base and detonating in the middle of the camp, killing several soldiers. There were also reports of gunbattles after the second bombing.
While this was going on, a third bomber detonated outside the home of Brig. Gen. Faraj Salmeen, commander of Hadrawmut’s second military region. The commander of the first region had been wounded only yesterday in a bombing attack on his convoy north of Mukallah.
ISIS claimed credit for today’s attack, while yesterday’s convoy bombing was claimed by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP). AQAP had held control of the city of Mukallah for nearly a year before being expelled recently by pro-Saudi troops.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey Cheers as Kurdish Forces Withdraw From Syrian City of Manbij - September 26th, 2016
- Clinton, Trump Both Talk Escalation Against ISIS - September 26th, 2016
- Clinton Assures Netanyahu She Would Veto Any UN Actions on Israel - September 26th, 2016
- ISIS Recovers Territory in Eastern Afghanistan - September 26th, 2016
- Pentagon: ISIS 'Dead Set' on Using Chemical Weapons in Mosul Battle - September 26th, 2016