Russia’s Armed Forces General Staff proposed an urgent meeting with the United States this morning to discuss the ongoing ceasefire in Syria, saying there need to be talks on the mechanisms for handling violators. The US quickly spurned the talks, insisting Russia’s concerns were unwarranted and the situation is being handled “in a constructive manner.”
An unnamed US official quoted by Reuters claimed the Russian military was “misinformed,” and that the matter had already been discussed at length and that discussions are ongoing through existing channels.
Russian officials aren’t taking no for an answer, however, with their Defense Ministry saying that in the absence of any talks with the US they’re just going to unilaterally begin bombing violators.
Three weeks in, the ceasefire has largely been a success, though both sides have accused the other of repeated violations. Russia’s Foreign Ministry made clear it sees the violations as primarily coming from allies of al-Qaeda’s Nusra Front, which includes several US-armed factions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump to Boost Exports of Lethal US Drones - March 20th, 2018
- Tests of Substance in Britain Poisoning Will Take Three Weeks - March 20th, 2018
- Iraq Approves Turkish Military Operations Against Border Kurds - March 20th, 2018
- Trump Praises Visiting Saudi Crown Prince, Focusing on Arms Sales - March 20th, 2018
- Cordial Talks Between Trump and Putin; Two Will Meet Soon - March 20th, 2018