Previous US claims of having ISIS contained have ended up looking foolish in hindsight, but that didn’t stop Brig. Gen. Wilson Shoffner in Afghanistan from making such a claim today, insisting ISIS is totally contained to a single district on the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.
Brig. Gen. Shoffner downplayed the risk of ISIS in the region, saying the group is smaller than previously estimated and made up almost exclusively of “former Pakistani Taliban,” adding that the US believes ISIS has no real appeal for Islamists in the region.
Shoffner went on to insist that ISIS was “really unpopular” in Nangarhar Province, where they are based, and that this would doubtless undermine their ability to build support anywhere else in Afghanistan.
US officials have previously sought to downplay ISIS’ size in other countries, with President Obama famously declaring ISIS successfully “contained” the day before massive ISIS attacks in Paris.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018