The Turkish Foreign Ministry has expressed “shock” at weekend comments by the US State Department urging both Turkish and Kurdish YPG forces to stop fighting and focus on the “common enemy” of ISIS. Turkish officials were galled by the idea that they and the Kurds were in “the same basket.”
Turkey began attacking northern Syria over the weekend, focusing initially on YPG targets but quickly expanding their attacks to also include the Syrian military. Turkish officials warned the US today they don’t intend to seek permission to fight “terrorist organizations” like the YPG.
Turkish Foreign Minister spokesman Tanju Bilgic confirmed an official “protest” was conveyed to the US State Department over its comments against the ongoing Turkish attacks. Turkish officials have repeatedly slammed the US for its support of the YPG.
The YPG, for their part, denied launching any strikes against Turkey, though Turkish officials have claimed all of their attacks were the result of “Kurdish aggression.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- White House Lobbying to Water Down Russia Sanctions Bill - June 22nd, 2017
- House Armed Services Committee Advances $640 Billion Military Spending Bill - June 22nd, 2017