The Turkish Foreign Ministry has expressed “shock” at weekend comments by the US State Department urging both Turkish and Kurdish YPG forces to stop fighting and focus on the “common enemy” of ISIS. Turkish officials were galled by the idea that they and the Kurds were in “the same basket.”
Turkey began attacking northern Syria over the weekend, focusing initially on YPG targets but quickly expanding their attacks to also include the Syrian military. Turkish officials warned the US today they don’t intend to seek permission to fight “terrorist organizations” like the YPG.
Turkish Foreign Minister spokesman Tanju Bilgic confirmed an official “protest” was conveyed to the US State Department over its comments against the ongoing Turkish attacks. Turkish officials have repeatedly slammed the US for its support of the YPG.
The YPG, for their part, denied launching any strikes against Turkey, though Turkish officials have claimed all of their attacks were the result of “Kurdish aggression.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel-Hamas Ceasefire Talks Halt Amid PA Threats - September 23rd, 2018
- China Cancels US Military Talks to Protest Sanctions - September 23rd, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills 18 in Southern Somalia - September 23rd, 2018
- Syrian Observatory: US-Led Coalition Killed 3,300 Civilians in Four Years - September 23rd, 2018
- Jihadist Group Rejects Turkey-Russia Deal on Syria's Idlib - September 23rd, 2018