Speaking to CBS News, CIA Director John Brennan has confirmed that ISIS has repeatedly used chemical weapons on the battlefield in Syria and Iraq, and has the capacity to make more such arms in the future.
Brennan said the belief if that ISIS can make small amounts of mustard and chlorine gas, and that the group has access to the chemical precursors to make more, along with munitions to fill with the newly made gas.
He did not, however, reveal what the US is actually doing about ISIS chemical weapons labs, beyond saying that the US is trying to destroy ISIS in general. He expressed concern about ISIS making such arms available for export to the West.
This is a significant shift for the US, which historically has blamed the Syrian government for all chemical attacks in Syria, even though many of those attacks were conducted concurrent with ISIS offensives against the targets. The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) has affirmed that Syria has given up its entire chemical arsenal.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Backed Kurds Say Russian Warplanes Attacked Them - September 25th, 2017
- North Korea Says Trump Has Declared War, US Says No - September 25th, 2017
- Palestinian Authority to Convene in Gaza Amid Reconciliation Push - September 25th, 2017
- Spanish Officials Declare Catalonia Referendum 'Discredited' - September 25th, 2017
- Spain's Attorney General: Catalan President May Face Arrest - September 25th, 2017