Commanders of the Hezbollah militia have claimed, in comments to the Daily Beast, that they are closely working with the Russian government, and that Russia is directly providing them with “heavy weapons” with no strings attached.
Hezbollah has been seen as hugely important to the battle on the ground in Syria, backing the Assad government, and reports that they were interested in pulling out of Syria right before Russia joined the war may be related, convincing Russia that they could “buy” continued Hezbollah involvement.
Syria has struggled to arm Hezbollah in the fight, however, with Israel regularly attacking Syrian military sites believed involved in the transfer. Israel is almost certain not to attempt that with Russia, though the Hezbollah commanders insisted that Russia did not forbid them from using the arms against Israel.
Details of what all they’re being given are unclear, but the Russian military is said to be having Hezbollah defend some of their arms depots in northwest, and basically giving Hezbollah the run of those depots to take what they need for the fight.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017