Edward Archer, who Philadelphia police report shot a police officer three times and then told arresting officers he was doing it “in the name of Islam” and pledged allegiance to ISIS, does not appear to have been a practicing Muslim.
The Philadelphia chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations made the rounds in the city, asking imams and other mosque-goers, and none of them apparently had ever heard of Archer, nor seen him going to religious services.
Police were eager to hype the ISIS connection, saying Archer was “savvy enough to stop just short of implicating himself in a conspiracy,” and cited neighbors who claimed he went to mosque every day, despite the mosques apparently not ever seeing him.
Sen. Bob Casey (D – PA) vowed to see Archer “fully prosecuted” to prove that the US will go after any member of ISIS or any other terrorist organization. At this point, however, there is a notable lack of proof of this ISIS connection.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russian, Syrian Airstrikes in Aleppo Province Displace Hundreds - December 12th, 2017
- Congress Ignores Trump's Iran Deal Deadline - December 12th, 2017
- Two Islamic Jihad Militants Killed in Gaza Blast - December 12th, 2017
- Trump Signs $692 Billion Military Spending Bill - December 12th, 2017
- USAID Chief: No Sign Saudis Easing Yemen Blockade - December 12th, 2017