Edward Archer, who Philadelphia police report shot a police officer three times and then told arresting officers he was doing it “in the name of Islam” and pledged allegiance to ISIS, does not appear to have been a practicing Muslim.
The Philadelphia chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations made the rounds in the city, asking imams and other mosque-goers, and none of them apparently had ever heard of Archer, nor seen him going to religious services.
Police were eager to hype the ISIS connection, saying Archer was “savvy enough to stop just short of implicating himself in a conspiracy,” and cited neighbors who claimed he went to mosque every day, despite the mosques apparently not ever seeing him.
Sen. Bob Casey (D – PA) vowed to see Archer “fully prosecuted” to prove that the US will go after any member of ISIS or any other terrorist organization. At this point, however, there is a notable lack of proof of this ISIS connection.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Attacks Afghan Taliban Commander's House, Killing 15 - July 17th, 2018
- Trump: No Time Limit for Denuclearization of North Korea - July 17th, 2018
- Afghan Govt Rejects Idea of US-Taliban Peace Talks - July 17th, 2018
- Israeli Army Told to Prepare for Large-Scale Invasion of Gaza - July 17th, 2018
- Lawmakers, Media Look to Undermine US-Russia Detente - July 17th, 2018