Edward Archer, who Philadelphia police report shot a police officer three times and then told arresting officers he was doing it “in the name of Islam” and pledged allegiance to ISIS, does not appear to have been a practicing Muslim.
The Philadelphia chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations made the rounds in the city, asking imams and other mosque-goers, and none of them apparently had ever heard of Archer, nor seen him going to religious services.
Police were eager to hype the ISIS connection, saying Archer was “savvy enough to stop just short of implicating himself in a conspiracy,” and cited neighbors who claimed he went to mosque every day, despite the mosques apparently not ever seeing him.
Sen. Bob Casey (D – PA) vowed to see Archer “fully prosecuted” to prove that the US will go after any member of ISIS or any other terrorist organization. At this point, however, there is a notable lack of proof of this ISIS connection.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Airstrike in Northern Syria Kills 20 Civilians, Mostly Children - March 21st, 2018
- Britain, Russia Continue to Trade Accusations Over Salisbury Poisoning - March 21st, 2018
- US, North Korea, and South Korea Hold Constructive Talks in Finland - March 21st, 2018
- Israel Publicly Admits 2007 Attack on Syria 'Nuclear Reactor' - March 21st, 2018
- Trump Pushes Europe on Iran Deal, But May Kill Deal Either Way - March 21st, 2018