On the night of October 3, when a US warplane attacked the Doctors Without Borders (MSF) hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan, killing 30 civilians within, neither US forces nor the Afghans who called in the attack had eyes of the hospital itself, new evidence reveals.
The US special forces who called in the strike were at a provincial governor’s compound over half a mile away, fighting with Taliban forces there, and simply took the word of the Afghan government that the Taliban were using the MSF hospital as their base of operations, without any evidence.
The Afghan government has been hostile to MSF, and many other international aid groups that run hospitals, for allowing all patients access irrespective of what faction they belong to. But the Afghans had been claiming this to US forces for awhile, and the US had already asked MSF about it, and was told that no Taliban were present at the hospital just a day prior to the attack.
Pentagon leadership conceded, before the investigation even began, that even if Taliban had been present it wouldn’t have justified attacking a functioning hospital. So much the worse for them, that after a month of investigation not a single shred of evidence emerged that this even might’ve been the case, making the already unjustified attack even worse.
MSF has demanded an independent investigation into the attack, which the White House has opposed. The Pentagon’s own internal investigation appears to continue, though preliminary reports on their findings have been withheld and there appears to be no timetable for any public release of anything on the attack.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Warns They'll Fight Jihadists If They Reject Idlib Deal - October 15th, 2018
- Scores of Taliban Killed in Afghanistan Fighting - October 15th, 2018
- Afghan High Peace Council Says Talk of US Troop Withdrawal Is Premature - October 15th, 2018
- US Companies Back Out of Saudi Events as Tensions Mount - October 15th, 2018
- Saudi Embassy in DC Cancels Annual Diplomatic Reception - October 15th, 2018