The Syrian military has fired a number of missiles into the rebel-held Damascus suburb of Douma today, hitting a crowded marketplace and sparking an enormous, civilian-heavy number of casualties. At least 89 were killed and over 100 others wounded, and the figures are still believed to be rising.
12 missiles were described as having hit the area around the marketplace, leveling a number of buildings and trapping many civilians underneath. Locals complain that the area was totally civilian in nature, saying they don’t allow combatants of any stripe into the area.
Other locals reported that missiles landed all over Douma, and not just in the marketplace, though the casualties were overwhelmingly from hitting this area. The suburb has been held by rebel factions for years, though is largely surrounded by pro-government districts at this point.
This has left Douma, and suburbs like it, as designed whipping boys for the Syrian military, which never seems to commit the force needed to capture the area outright, but regularly does after the town in high-profile, high-casualty attacks like today’s.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu Tells UN Chief That Golan Is Forever Israel's - February 16th, 2018
- Netanyahu Blocks West Bank Annexation, But Backs Taking More Control - February 16th, 2018
- Pentagon Watchdog: No Significant Progress Made in Afghanistan - February 16th, 2018
- Turkish Army Accused of Hitting Syria's Afrin With Gas Attack - February 16th, 2018
- US, Turkey Agree to Avoid Clash Over Manbij - February 16th, 2018