Saudi warplanes continue to pound the northern half of Yemen today, causing more civilian casualties, and killing at least 20 Indian citizens in an attack on boats in the eastern port town of Khokha, near Hodeida.
Saudi warplanes destroyed the port of Hodeida late last month, as it was the primary route through which aid was delivered to the northern parts of the country. Khokha has since been a popular site for shippers trying to run the Saudi blockade of Yemen, and the Indians were said to be trying to deliver fuel to the country.
The Indian government says it is investigating the reports, but has not been able to learn anything yet, since the Indian embassy was closed in the lead-up to the Saudi declaration of war against Yemen. Though the Saudis have prevented a lot of aid ships from reaching Yemen, this is the first time they’ve overtly attacked ships in port.
The Shi’ite Houthis also reported more Saudi airstrikes against the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, killing at least 15 more civilians there. Massive numbers of civilians have been killed in the strikes across Yemen, particularly with targets in major cities.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkish Warplanes Pound Kurds, Thousands of Syrian Rebels Bused to Border - January 20th, 2018
- US Military's 'Prime Focus' Will Be Competing With Russia, China - January 19th, 2018
- NGO: US-Led Coalition Civilian Killings Tripled in Iraq and Syria in 2017 - January 19th, 2018
- Russia FM: US Creating 'Alternative Bodies of Authority' in Syria - January 19th, 2018
- US: Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds 'Destabilizing' - January 19th, 2018