Saudi warplanes continue to pound the northern half of Yemen today, causing more civilian casualties, and killing at least 20 Indian citizens in an attack on boats in the eastern port town of Khokha, near Hodeida.
Saudi warplanes destroyed the port of Hodeida late last month, as it was the primary route through which aid was delivered to the northern parts of the country. Khokha has since been a popular site for shippers trying to run the Saudi blockade of Yemen, and the Indians were said to be trying to deliver fuel to the country.
The Indian government says it is investigating the reports, but has not been able to learn anything yet, since the Indian embassy was closed in the lead-up to the Saudi declaration of war against Yemen. Though the Saudis have prevented a lot of aid ships from reaching Yemen, this is the first time they’ve overtly attacked ships in port.
The Shi’ite Houthis also reported more Saudi airstrikes against the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, killing at least 15 more civilians there. Massive numbers of civilians have been killed in the strikes across Yemen, particularly with targets in major cities.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Qaeda Fighters Kill 22 Syrian Troops Near Idlib - November 16th, 2018
- US Opposes UNGA Resolution Calling on Israel to Return Golan Heights - November 16th, 2018
- US to Accuse Iran of Capacity to Violate Chemical Weapons Ban - November 16th, 2018
- Israel Coalition Falters as Netanyahu Takes Top Positions - November 16th, 2018
- Report: CIA Concludes Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashoggi's Murder - November 16th, 2018