In a move that Pentagon officials say is a precautionary measure, the roughly 3,500 US ground troops in Iraq have been ordered to prepare themselves to use chemical weapons suits in the event that ISIS forces attack them with their growing arsenal.
ISIS has been bragging about its chemical weapons capacity for quite some time, but it is only relatively recently that the US has started to take notice of incidents in which ISIS has used a “mustard agent” against Kurdish forces across northern Iraq.
Though the attacks have caused relatively few casualties, there are an increasing number of incidents involving them, and with the US making much of deploying their “advisers” near ISIS forces, this is liable to make them convenient targets of opportunity.
The Pentagon insists that the US troops there are equipped and trained to handle being attacked by chemical munitions, but if such an incident were to happen involving US troops it would almost certainly dramatically undercut their claims that the war is going well.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018