Last week, the European Leadership Network (ELN) published a report claiming that NATO and Russia are both making active preparations for full-scale war, citing massive military exercises on the border, and US war-gaming on “sustained” wars in Eastern Europe.
NATO is officially “denying” this, but the rest of their statement reads less like a denial than like an attempt to shift the blame to Russia, insisting all their preparations are response to “Russian aggression,” and that the exercises actually “enhance security in response to growing Russian aggression.”
The ELN report urged both sides to scale back their operations before the situation got out of hand, another idea NATO is rejecting, as they insist that the huge training exercises are “proportionate” and in line with international obligations.
NATO went on to say it is “unfair” to compare their military exercises on the Russian border to Russian exercises on the NATO border, because they’re both really quite different in some obvious, but totally unspecified, way.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu: The Bible Proves Jerusalem Is Israel's Capital - December 11th, 2017
- ISIS Is Gone, But Iraq's Main Refinery Remains in Ruins - December 11th, 2017
- US-Backed Syrian Kurds, Iraqi Army Coordinate at Border - December 11th, 2017
- Iran FM Urges Europe to Preserve Nuclear Deal - December 11th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Cleric Urges Fighters to Disarm - December 11th, 2017