Last week, the European Leadership Network (ELN) published a report claiming that NATO and Russia are both making active preparations for full-scale war, citing massive military exercises on the border, and US war-gaming on “sustained” wars in Eastern Europe.
NATO is officially “denying” this, but the rest of their statement reads less like a denial than like an attempt to shift the blame to Russia, insisting all their preparations are response to “Russian aggression,” and that the exercises actually “enhance security in response to growing Russian aggression.”
The ELN report urged both sides to scale back their operations before the situation got out of hand, another idea NATO is rejecting, as they insist that the huge training exercises are “proportionate” and in line with international obligations.
NATO went on to say it is “unfair” to compare their military exercises on the Russian border to Russian exercises on the NATO border, because they’re both really quite different in some obvious, but totally unspecified, way.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Suicide Bomber Kills Dozens Near Shrine in Afghan Capital - March 21st, 2018
- US-South Korea Spring War Games to Be Scaled Back This Year - March 21st, 2018
- Trump to Boost Exports of Lethal US Drones - March 20th, 2018
- Tests of Substance in Britain Poisoning Will Take Three Weeks - March 20th, 2018
- Iraq Approves Turkish Military Operations Against Border Kurds - March 20th, 2018