Last week, the European Leadership Network (ELN) published a report claiming that NATO and Russia are both making active preparations for full-scale war, citing massive military exercises on the border, and US war-gaming on “sustained” wars in Eastern Europe.
NATO is officially “denying” this, but the rest of their statement reads less like a denial than like an attempt to shift the blame to Russia, insisting all their preparations are response to “Russian aggression,” and that the exercises actually “enhance security in response to growing Russian aggression.”
The ELN report urged both sides to scale back their operations before the situation got out of hand, another idea NATO is rejecting, as they insist that the huge training exercises are “proportionate” and in line with international obligations.
NATO went on to say it is “unfair” to compare their military exercises on the Russian border to Russian exercises on the NATO border, because they’re both really quite different in some obvious, but totally unspecified, way.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018