A newly married couple in their early 20’s have been captured by US officials, who say they have confessed to planning to join ISIS to “provide material support” to the group as part of their honeymoon.
The two were arrested at the airport in Columbus, Mississippi, after buying tickets to Istanbul. Mysteriously, the entire narrative surrounding their plan to join ISIS was for them to fly to some random European city, explicitly not Istanbul, and take a bus there to avoid attracting attention.
The couple are the son of a local imam and the daughter of a Vicksburg, MS police officer and former students at Mississippi State University. The FBI claimed the two were communicating with an FBI informant about the possibility of joining ISIS and had said they “would love to help.”
The Justice Department says the couple are being held by federal officials pending charges, and the two were denied a bond hearing because the charges were terror related. There was no indication either had any previous record.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018