A new violation of the Minsk Ceasefire was reported today in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk, as artillery shells hit the center of the city, killing 1-2 civilians according to varying reports. Both sides accused the other of launching the attacks.
Since the shelling hit rebel-held territory in the rebel capital, it seems more than likely that the Ukrainian military launched the attack, though the Army claimed to have intercepted radio messages that showed the rebels shelled their own city.
OSCE monitors were unable to say which side actually fired, though they noted that neither side had finished withdrawing heavy artillery from the front lines, something both were supposed to do under the terms of the Minsk deal.
The rebels, likely in response to this, noted that they are withdrawing some new heavy weapons today, saying their goal is to have all heavy weapons removed from within three miles of the frontier between the two forces.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- White House Lobbying to Water Down Russia Sanctions Bill - June 22nd, 2017
- House Armed Services Committee Advances $640 Billion Military Spending Bill - June 22nd, 2017