A new violation of the Minsk Ceasefire was reported today in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk, as artillery shells hit the center of the city, killing 1-2 civilians according to varying reports. Both sides accused the other of launching the attacks.
Since the shelling hit rebel-held territory in the rebel capital, it seems more than likely that the Ukrainian military launched the attack, though the Army claimed to have intercepted radio messages that showed the rebels shelled their own city.
OSCE monitors were unable to say which side actually fired, though they noted that neither side had finished withdrawing heavy artillery from the front lines, something both were supposed to do under the terms of the Minsk deal.
The rebels, likely in response to this, noted that they are withdrawing some new heavy weapons today, saying their goal is to have all heavy weapons removed from within three miles of the frontier between the two forces.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni al-Qaeda Denies Secret Deal With UAE - August 17th, 2018
- Afghan President Visits Ghazni to Declare Victory, but Fighting Is Ongoing - August 17th, 2018
- Bomb That Killed Scores of Children in Yemen Was US Supplied - August 17th, 2018
- US Redirects Syria Funds, Emphasizes It Is Not Withdrawing - August 17th, 2018
- Officials Worry Trump May Back Erik Prince Plan to 'Privatize' Afghan War - August 17th, 2018