A new violation of the Minsk Ceasefire was reported today in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk, as artillery shells hit the center of the city, killing 1-2 civilians according to varying reports. Both sides accused the other of launching the attacks.
Since the shelling hit rebel-held territory in the rebel capital, it seems more than likely that the Ukrainian military launched the attack, though the Army claimed to have intercepted radio messages that showed the rebels shelled their own city.
OSCE monitors were unable to say which side actually fired, though they noted that neither side had finished withdrawing heavy artillery from the front lines, something both were supposed to do under the terms of the Minsk deal.
The rebels, likely in response to this, noted that they are withdrawing some new heavy weapons today, saying their goal is to have all heavy weapons removed from within three miles of the frontier between the two forces.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Rejects Call to Meet US Negotiator in Islamabad - January 20th, 2019
- Trump Says 'A Lot of Progress' Made With North Korea - January 20th, 2019
- US Airstrike Kills at Least 52 in Southern Somalia - January 20th, 2019
- Saudi Warplanes Pound Yemeni Capital - January 20th, 2019
- Israeli Airstrikes Hit Syria, Officials Say Iran's Quds Force Is Target - January 20th, 2019