After massive fighting Wednesday in the area around Sheikh Zuwayid left some 200 people dead, Egypt’s military junta and the local ISIS affiliate are both hard at work spinning the clashes as a victory for them, and a defeat for the other side.
The Egyptian military went to great lengths producing a 3D animated video of their version of the battle, which claimed that not only was ISIS routed, but that claims of 100 casualties on their side were false stories al-Jazeera perpetrated to “hurt soldiers’ morale,” and that only 17 Egyptian soldiers were killed.
The ISIS affiliate, for its part, released a series of photographs showing destroyed military vehicles, and issued a statement on their version of the attacks, saying they’d attacked 20 different sites and cut off military supply lines in the area for hours.
Interestingly, ISIS’ version of the events included claims that five Israeli military drones were involved in the fighting, and they claims the only reason Egypt’s military ended up expelling ISIS forces was because they sought “help from their Jewish masters.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018