Hezbollah’s television station, al-Manar, is reporting that their forces launched two separate attacks on ISIS forces along the Lebanon-Syria border, killing nine fighters including two who they identified as ISIS commanders.
The fighting took place on the outskirts of the border town of Arsal, where ISIS and al-Qaeda have repeatedly launched attacks on Lebanese forces. Hezbollah says they overran a “meeting” being held between the ISIS leaders in the area.
Hezbollah claims the meeting was to plan an offensive against Baalbek, a major Lebanese city in the area, and identified the two slain ISIS commanders as Abu Akrama al-Zouhouri and Ahmad al-Mohsen. The others slain were not identified.
Since Hezbollah joined the Syrian Civil War on the government’s side, they have fought repeatedly against ISIS and other rebel factions. The fighting has mostly been inside Syria, but has also brought attempts from the Islamist factions to attack Shi’ite targets in Lebanon.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Spain Ratchets Up Threats as Catalonia Refuses to Respond - October 16th, 2017
- US Drone Strike Kills 20 in Pakistan Tribal Area - October 16th, 2017
- Pentagon: US Kills Dozens in Yemen Training Camp Attacks - October 16th, 2017
- Israel Attacks Syrian Air Defenses After Warplanes Come Under Fire - October 16th, 2017
- Spain Threatens to Seize Catalonia as Deadline Looms - October 15th, 2017