Hezbollah’s television station, al-Manar, is reporting that their forces launched two separate attacks on ISIS forces along the Lebanon-Syria border, killing nine fighters including two who they identified as ISIS commanders.
The fighting took place on the outskirts of the border town of Arsal, where ISIS and al-Qaeda have repeatedly launched attacks on Lebanese forces. Hezbollah says they overran a “meeting” being held between the ISIS leaders in the area.
Hezbollah claims the meeting was to plan an offensive against Baalbek, a major Lebanese city in the area, and identified the two slain ISIS commanders as Abu Akrama al-Zouhouri and Ahmad al-Mohsen. The others slain were not identified.
Since Hezbollah joined the Syrian Civil War on the government’s side, they have fought repeatedly against ISIS and other rebel factions. The fighting has mostly been inside Syria, but has also brought attempts from the Islamist factions to attack Shi’ite targets in Lebanon.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018