International watchdog the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons today announced that they have been able to confirm that all of Syria’s once substantial chemical weapons arsenal has been destroyed, and all byproducts from the arms similarly neutralized.
Syria agreed to dismantle its program in 2013, and did so under the watch of the OPCW. The process was slowed somewhat by the civil war making transportation difficult, but eventually all of the byproducts were sent to an offshore US vessel, where they were eliminated.
The US appears irked at the timing of the OPCW announcement, coming as US hawks make claims of chlorine gas attacks the basis for calls for more military escalation in Syria, and present them as proof that chemical weapons usage is ongoing in Syria.
How much of the chlorine gas release was deliberate and how much was just a function of fighting in cities with industrial areas is uncertain, but such gas releases are far afield from the advanced chemical weapons arsenal Syria once possessed, designed to wipe out entire cities.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Officials Trying to Finalize Legal Language to Expand Gitmo's Use - August 20th, 2017
- White House Continues to Talk Up 'Preventative War' Against North Korea - August 20th, 2017
- Trump Elevates US Cyber Command to a Formal Military Command - August 20th, 2017
- Abbas: After 20 Meetings I Still Don't Understand Trump's Peace Plan - August 20th, 2017
- Lebanon's Army Advances Deep Into ISIS-Held Border Territory - August 20th, 2017