In comments earlier today, Secretary of Defense Ash Carter vowed to continue “fine-tuning” the effort to train and arm Iraqi forces, including both the military and Sunni tribal forces.
Carter made clear that a lot of the effort is going to be toward increasing aid to the Sunnis, and trying to convince the Shi’ite-dominated central government to let the Pentagon directly arm them.
Carter said the goal was to both “hasten and enhance” the training process, which has come into increased focus after Iraqi troops, who had an enormous numerical advantage, were routed by ISIS in Ramadi.
US officials have repeatedly insisted that the problem has been with Iraqi military leadership, however, not with the training of the rank and file, so it’s unclear what this plan will actually change, as ISIS continues to take over much of Anbar Province.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018