In comments earlier today, Secretary of Defense Ash Carter vowed to continue “fine-tuning” the effort to train and arm Iraqi forces, including both the military and Sunni tribal forces.
Carter made clear that a lot of the effort is going to be toward increasing aid to the Sunnis, and trying to convince the Shi’ite-dominated central government to let the Pentagon directly arm them.
Carter said the goal was to both “hasten and enhance” the training process, which has come into increased focus after Iraqi troops, who had an enormous numerical advantage, were routed by ISIS in Ramadi.
US officials have repeatedly insisted that the problem has been with Iraqi military leadership, however, not with the training of the rank and file, so it’s unclear what this plan will actually change, as ISIS continues to take over much of Anbar Province.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Ambush the Result of 'Massive Intelligence Failure' - October 20th, 2017