A Sunday attack on a car in central Damascus has killed Brigadier General Ali Muhanna and six others, the latest attack by rebels in the heart of government territory.
Islamist rebel faction Ahrar al-Sham, a key faction within the Islamic Front, claimed credit for the blast, and issued a video showing them planting an IED on the general’s car.
Officials say that Brig. Gen. Muhanna was a member of the nation’s elite Republican Guard. The identities of the other six slain in the blast have not been released.
Though the Syrian military controls Damascus and most of the suburbs, they have consistently had problems with infiltration, and struggled to keep the capital appearing secure during the ongoing civil war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Is Gone, But Iraq's Main Refinery Remains in Ruins - December 11th, 2017
- US-Backed Syrian Kurds, Iraqi Army Coordinate at Border - December 11th, 2017
- Iran FM Urges Europe to Preserve Nuclear Deal - December 11th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Cleric Urges Fighters to Disarm - December 11th, 2017
- Turkish Army: 29 PKK killed in Strikes on Northern Iraq - December 11th, 2017