A Sunday attack on a car in central Damascus has killed Brigadier General Ali Muhanna and six others, the latest attack by rebels in the heart of government territory.
Islamist rebel faction Ahrar al-Sham, a key faction within the Islamic Front, claimed credit for the blast, and issued a video showing them planting an IED on the general’s car.
Officials say that Brig. Gen. Muhanna was a member of the nation’s elite Republican Guard. The identities of the other six slain in the blast have not been released.
Though the Syrian military controls Damascus and most of the suburbs, they have consistently had problems with infiltration, and struggled to keep the capital appearing secure during the ongoing civil war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: US Airstrike Kills Eight in Eastern Syria - June 21st, 2018
- Japan Halts Missile Attack Drills After Trump-Kim Summit - June 21st, 2018
- North Korea Denuclearization Has Already Started, Says Trump - June 21st, 2018
- Trump: North Korea Has Returned Remains of 200 US War Dead - June 21st, 2018
- Report Warns Taliban's 'Parallel State' Still Rules Large Swathes of Afghanistan - June 21st, 2018