A Sunday attack on a car in central Damascus has killed Brigadier General Ali Muhanna and six others, the latest attack by rebels in the heart of government territory.
Islamist rebel faction Ahrar al-Sham, a key faction within the Islamic Front, claimed credit for the blast, and issued a video showing them planting an IED on the general’s car.
Officials say that Brig. Gen. Muhanna was a member of the nation’s elite Republican Guard. The identities of the other six slain in the blast have not been released.
Though the Syrian military controls Damascus and most of the suburbs, they have consistently had problems with infiltration, and struggled to keep the capital appearing secure during the ongoing civil war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Separatists Attack Iran Military Parade in Ahvaz, Killing at Least 29 - September 22nd, 2018
- Israeli Delegation Continues to Try to Explain Downing of Russian Plane in Syria - September 21st, 2018
- German Companies Continue to Withdraw From Iran - September 21st, 2018
- As Afghan Military Deaths Soar, Officials Struggle to Keep Toll Secret - September 21st, 2018
- Afghan Officials Will Meet Taliban in Moscow - September 21st, 2018