A Sunday attack on a car in central Damascus has killed Brigadier General Ali Muhanna and six others, the latest attack by rebels in the heart of government territory.
Islamist rebel faction Ahrar al-Sham, a key faction within the Islamic Front, claimed credit for the blast, and issued a video showing them planting an IED on the general’s car.
Officials say that Brig. Gen. Muhanna was a member of the nation’s elite Republican Guard. The identities of the other six slain in the blast have not been released.
Though the Syrian military controls Damascus and most of the suburbs, they have consistently had problems with infiltration, and struggled to keep the capital appearing secure during the ongoing civil war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least 100 Syrian Civilians in Raqqa in 48 Hours - August 22nd, 2017
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017