In the latest indication yet that the US military intends to challenge China’s claims to a series of islands in the South China Sea, Pentagon officials are saying today that direct naval and aerial patrols over the islands are likely the “next step.”
The islands, near the Spratly chain, are unquestionably China’s, since the islands are man-made and were created by the Chinese themselves.
The Obama Administration has made challenging Chinese claims in the South China Sea such a go-to policy, however, that they are deciding to challenge China over islands that couldn’t possibly belong to anyone else.
And as the administration overtly tries to pick a fight with China over these islands, the State Department is mocking the new islands as “sandcastles,” and claiming China is “eroding regional trust and undermining investor confidence.” To that end, officials warn it could “lead to conflict.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump: Afghan War Decisions Made - August 19th, 2017
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017