In the latest indication yet that the US military intends to challenge China’s claims to a series of islands in the South China Sea, Pentagon officials are saying today that direct naval and aerial patrols over the islands are likely the “next step.”
The islands, near the Spratly chain, are unquestionably China’s, since the islands are man-made and were created by the Chinese themselves.
The Obama Administration has made challenging Chinese claims in the South China Sea such a go-to policy, however, that they are deciding to challenge China over islands that couldn’t possibly belong to anyone else.
And as the administration overtly tries to pick a fight with China over these islands, the State Department is mocking the new islands as “sandcastles,” and claiming China is “eroding regional trust and undermining investor confidence.” To that end, officials warn it could “lead to conflict.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Ambush the Result of 'Massive Intelligence Failure' - October 20th, 2017