Presidential hopeful Jeb Bush is attempting to backtrack from his comments in support of the Iraq War, now claiming he “misheard” the question.
The question in question was “knowing what we know now, would you have authorized the invasion,” and Bush confirmed that he would have.
One of the most disastrous and unpopular wars in a generation, the Iraq War was launched by Jeb’s brother George W. Bush on faulty claims of Iraqi WMDs.
Even among a Republican primary lineup trying to out-hawk each other at every term, many are distancing themselves from Bush’s comments, and are seeing any mention of the Iraq War as a losing proposition.
The fact that Bush is making so much of his brother being a key adviser to his campaign makes the legacy of the Iraq War all the bigger an issue for him, and with both his brother and his father having their respective presidential legacies inexorably linked to Iraq Wars, Jeb could quickly find his comments on Iraq derailing his own campaign before it really begins.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017
- Trump's Pentagon to Spend Nearly $500 Million on Gitmo Construction - August 21st, 2017