US officials say they are considering selling GBU-28 bunker buster bombs to Saudi Arabia’s military soon, an export that had previously only been allowed to Israel.
The 5000-lb bombs are designed to attack underground facilities, though analysts have said they don’t believe the bombs would be sufficient to destroy Iran’s Fordow enrichment site.
Despite this, the consideration to sell to the Saudis is being couched as a chance to “reassure” them on the P5+1 nuclear deal with Iran, a deal the Saudis oppose.
The proliferation of advanced weapons in the region is only part of the problem with such a sale, as Israel is likely to gripe that the sales will imperil their “qualitative edge” in the region, despite being on good terms with the Saudis, and start agitating for even more weapons of their own.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ukraine's President-Elect Demands Sanctions Against Russia Over Passports - April 24th, 2019
- Kim Visits Russia to Meet Putin on Nuclear, Peace Process - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM Calls for Prisoner Swap With US - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM: Trump Aims for Talks, Bolton Wants Conflict - April 24th, 2019
- ISIS Battles Taliban for Control of Eastern Afghanistan Villages - April 24th, 2019