While griping about tensions with Russia, NATO is once again dramatically ratcheting up the sense of unease along the Russian frontier, with what they are calling their “largest ever” submarine wargames just off Russian waters.
During the exercises, a number of NATO submarines will launch simulated sneak attacks on Baltic ships, and officials are emphasizing the proximity to Russia adds “relevance to the exercise.”
British officials in particular say the exercise is meant to reassure the Baltic NATO member states, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania, of NATO’s ability to defeat “Russian aggression” in the region.
Yet this is the latest in a long series of massive NATO exercises deliberately set up along the Russian frontier, and while officials keep claiming it is the Russians behaving aggressively, it seems that NATO is the one demonstrating bellicosity.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018