A group of three fighters from al-Qaeda’s Jabhat al-Nusra, including a suicide bomber, carried out an attack today in the Syrian capital of Damascus, targeting a military logistics site in the the Rokn al-Deen neighborhood.
Overall casualties are still unclear, though reports are that the suicide bomber targeted the general responsible for the site, wounding him and two of his guards, and killing one other guard in the blast.
Syrian state media reported that the troops quickly killed the other two attackers, and did not mention any casualties other than that, and Hezbollah’s own media reported only that the assassination attempt had “failed.”
The al-Qaeda fighters appear to have infiltrated the neighborhood through an agricultural district held by another rebel faction, likely to spark a new round of Syrian military attempts to retake that district.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran: European Proposals Not Enough to Save Nuclear Deal - June 19th, 2018
- Kim and China's President Xi Talk Denuclearization, Peace in Korea - June 19th, 2018
- New US Commander in Afghanistan Claims Progress, Warns Against Pullout - June 19th, 2018
- US Withdraws From UN Human Rights Council, Citing Approach to Israel - June 19th, 2018
- Saudi-led Forces Seize Parts of Yemen's Hodeidah Airport in Heavy Fighting - June 19th, 2018