A group of three fighters from al-Qaeda’s Jabhat al-Nusra, including a suicide bomber, carried out an attack today in the Syrian capital of Damascus, targeting a military logistics site in the the Rokn al-Deen neighborhood.
Overall casualties are still unclear, though reports are that the suicide bomber targeted the general responsible for the site, wounding him and two of his guards, and killing one other guard in the blast.
Syrian state media reported that the troops quickly killed the other two attackers, and did not mention any casualties other than that, and Hezbollah’s own media reported only that the assassination attempt had “failed.”
The al-Qaeda fighters appear to have infiltrated the neighborhood through an agricultural district held by another rebel faction, likely to spark a new round of Syrian military attempts to retake that district.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018