A group of three fighters from al-Qaeda’s Jabhat al-Nusra, including a suicide bomber, carried out an attack today in the Syrian capital of Damascus, targeting a military logistics site in the the Rokn al-Deen neighborhood.
Overall casualties are still unclear, though reports are that the suicide bomber targeted the general responsible for the site, wounding him and two of his guards, and killing one other guard in the blast.
Syrian state media reported that the troops quickly killed the other two attackers, and did not mention any casualties other than that, and Hezbollah’s own media reported only that the assassination attempt had “failed.”
The al-Qaeda fighters appear to have infiltrated the neighborhood through an agricultural district held by another rebel faction, likely to spark a new round of Syrian military attempts to retake that district.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia Will Provide S-300s to Syria to Defend Entire Airspace - September 25th, 2018
- Pompeo Slams EU Plan to Circumvent US Sanctions on Iran - September 25th, 2018
- US General: Removing Troops From Korea a Major Tactical Risk - September 25th, 2018
- South Korean President: Kim Is Serious About Giving Up Nuclear Bombs - September 25th, 2018
- US Adjusting Tactics as Afghanistan Casualties Rise - September 25th, 2018