A group of three fighters from al-Qaeda’s Jabhat al-Nusra, including a suicide bomber, carried out an attack today in the Syrian capital of Damascus, targeting a military logistics site in the the Rokn al-Deen neighborhood.
Overall casualties are still unclear, though reports are that the suicide bomber targeted the general responsible for the site, wounding him and two of his guards, and killing one other guard in the blast.
Syrian state media reported that the troops quickly killed the other two attackers, and did not mention any casualties other than that, and Hezbollah’s own media reported only that the assassination attempt had “failed.”
The al-Qaeda fighters appear to have infiltrated the neighborhood through an agricultural district held by another rebel faction, likely to spark a new round of Syrian military attempts to retake that district.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Officials Trying to Finalize Legal Language to Expand Gitmo's Use - August 20th, 2017
- White House Continues to Talk Up 'Preventative War' Against North Korea - August 20th, 2017
- Trump Elevates US Cyber Command to a Formal Military Command - August 20th, 2017
- Abbas: After 20 Meetings I Still Don't Understand Trump's Peace Plan - August 20th, 2017
- Lebanon's Army Advances Deep Into ISIS-Held Border Territory - August 20th, 2017