Speaking on MSNBC, President Obama downplayed Russia’s decision to allow Iran to buy S-300 air defense systems from them, saying the systems would not stop an American attack on Iran.
“Even if they’ve got some air defense systems, we could penetrate them,” Obama insisted, noting the US spends $600 billion on its military compared to Iran’s $17 billion.
The S-300 line was a top Soviet-era long-range air defense system, it first entered use in Russia in the 1980s. It has never been used in combat anywhere, but is considered a higher end defensive system.
The reports Iran might be able to buy them riled Israel, who noted it would make their own threatened attack on Iran considerably less convenient. The US, with its seemingly endless supply of warplanes and missiles, appears confident it can throw enough force at pretty much anywhere or anything to thwart the defenses.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran: European Proposals Not Enough to Save Nuclear Deal - June 19th, 2018
- Kim and China's President Xi Talk Denuclearization, Peace in Korea - June 19th, 2018
- New US Commander in Afghanistan Claims Progress, Warns Against Pullout - June 19th, 2018
- US Withdraws From UN Human Rights Council, Citing Approach to Israel - June 19th, 2018
- Saudi-led Forces Seize Parts of Yemen's Hodeidah Airport in Heavy Fighting - June 19th, 2018