Speaking on MSNBC, President Obama downplayed Russia’s decision to allow Iran to buy S-300 air defense systems from them, saying the systems would not stop an American attack on Iran.
“Even if they’ve got some air defense systems, we could penetrate them,” Obama insisted, noting the US spends $600 billion on its military compared to Iran’s $17 billion.
The S-300 line was a top Soviet-era long-range air defense system, it first entered use in Russia in the 1980s. It has never been used in combat anywhere, but is considered a higher end defensive system.
The reports Iran might be able to buy them riled Israel, who noted it would make their own threatened attack on Iran considerably less convenient. The US, with its seemingly endless supply of warplanes and missiles, appears confident it can throw enough force at pretty much anywhere or anything to thwart the defenses.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudis Demolish Historic Shi'ite Neighborhood, Sparking Unrest - June 27th, 2017
- Turkey, Kurdish Forces Trade Fire in North Syria's Afrin District - June 27th, 2017
- Mattis: US Will Keep Arming Syrian Kurds After Raqqa Falls - June 27th, 2017
- Russia: US Warning to Syria Is Unacceptable - June 27th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Insists Qatar Demands Are 'Non-Negotiable' - June 27th, 2017