No military casualties were reported in the strikes, which set off a string of explosions around residential neighborhoods in Sanaa. Many of the casualties were from explosions blowing out windows in people’s homes.
Saudi officials defended the huge civilian death toll, insisting the fact that their airstrikes on a known missile depot had caused explosions at all proved the Houthis had been storing their own small arms in the area.
Saudi military spokesman Brig. Gen. Ahmed Asseri went on to say that today’s strikes were part of a “new phase” of war against the Houthis, one which he insisted would include “protection of civilians.” So far, the phase seems not to be off to a great start.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Establishes First Permanent Military Base in Israel - September 18th, 2017
- Trump Wants Massive Military Parade in DC on July 4 - September 18th, 2017
- Senate Backs Bill to Pump $700 Billion into Military - September 18th, 2017
- Mattis Says Military Options Exist Against North Korea - September 18th, 2017
- Netanyahu Says Trump Promised to 'Fix' Iran Deal - September 18th, 2017