At least 76 people were killed in the past 24 hours, as Saudi warplanes escalated their attacks against southern Yemen, and Saudi allies fought with Houthi fighters in the region.
40 were killed in the city of Aden alone, as airstrikes backed up a round of pushes by a pro-Hadi force against Houthi forces in the vital southern port city. At least 20 more were killed at al-Anad, not far from the city.
Other fighting was reported in and around Taiz, not far from Aden, as two different factions of the Yemeni military fought over a base, with the pro-Hadi faction getting backed by Saudi airdrops.
Additional airstrikes were reported against targets inside the capital city of Sanaa, though death tolls have yet to come out of those strikes. Witnesses reported columns of smoke rising from an arms depot that was one of the main targets.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017
- North Korea Sees Planned US-South Korea Wargames as 'Catastrophe' - August 18th, 2017