At least 76 people were killed in the past 24 hours, as Saudi warplanes escalated their attacks against southern Yemen, and Saudi allies fought with Houthi fighters in the region.
40 were killed in the city of Aden alone, as airstrikes backed up a round of pushes by a pro-Hadi force against Houthi forces in the vital southern port city. At least 20 more were killed at al-Anad, not far from the city.
Other fighting was reported in and around Taiz, not far from Aden, as two different factions of the Yemeni military fought over a base, with the pro-Hadi faction getting backed by Saudi airdrops.
Additional airstrikes were reported against targets inside the capital city of Sanaa, though death tolls have yet to come out of those strikes. Witnesses reported columns of smoke rising from an arms depot that was one of the main targets.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon: Turkish Invasion of NE Syria Is Unacceptable - December 12th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Abandon Western District After Taliban Attacks - December 12th, 2018
- Korean Troops Peacefully Cross DMZ for First Time Ever - December 12th, 2018
- Yemen Warring Parties Reach Deal on Reopening Sanaa Airport - December 12th, 2018
- Trump Stands by Saudi Crown Prince Despite Congressional Opposition - December 12th, 2018