At least 76 people were killed in the past 24 hours, as Saudi warplanes escalated their attacks against southern Yemen, and Saudi allies fought with Houthi fighters in the region.
40 were killed in the city of Aden alone, as airstrikes backed up a round of pushes by a pro-Hadi force against Houthi forces in the vital southern port city. At least 20 more were killed at al-Anad, not far from the city.
Other fighting was reported in and around Taiz, not far from Aden, as two different factions of the Yemeni military fought over a base, with the pro-Hadi faction getting backed by Saudi airdrops.
Additional airstrikes were reported against targets inside the capital city of Sanaa, though death tolls have yet to come out of those strikes. Witnesses reported columns of smoke rising from an arms depot that was one of the main targets.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia Will Provide S-300s to Syria to Defend Entire Airspace - September 25th, 2018
- Pompeo Slams EU Plan to Circumvent US Sanctions on Iran - September 25th, 2018
- US General: Removing Troops From Korea a Major Tactical Risk - September 25th, 2018
- South Korean President: Kim Is Serious About Giving Up Nuclear Bombs - September 25th, 2018
- US Adjusting Tactics as Afghanistan Casualties Rise - September 25th, 2018