At least 76 people were killed in the past 24 hours, as Saudi warplanes escalated their attacks against southern Yemen, and Saudi allies fought with Houthi fighters in the region.
40 were killed in the city of Aden alone, as airstrikes backed up a round of pushes by a pro-Hadi force against Houthi forces in the vital southern port city. At least 20 more were killed at al-Anad, not far from the city.
Other fighting was reported in and around Taiz, not far from Aden, as two different factions of the Yemeni military fought over a base, with the pro-Hadi faction getting backed by Saudi airdrops.
Additional airstrikes were reported against targets inside the capital city of Sanaa, though death tolls have yet to come out of those strikes. Witnesses reported columns of smoke rising from an arms depot that was one of the main targets.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Amid Yemen War Outrage, UAE Agrees to Buy Another $5.4 Billion in Arms - February 21st, 2019
- US Troop Cuts Not Intended to Be Discussed at Trump-Kim Summit - February 21st, 2019
- Putin: Russia Is Militarily Ready for Another Cuban-Style Missile Crisis - February 21st, 2019
- US Military's Anti-Drug Campaign in Afghanistan Ends in Failure - February 21st, 2019
- Trump Will Leave 200 US Troops in Syria After Pullout - February 21st, 2019