Taliban forces today overran multiple military checkpoints in Afghanistan’s far northeastern Badakhshan Province, killing at least 18, and potential several more as 12 remain unaccounted for.
Among the 18 killed, the Taliban beheaded eight of the Afghan soldiers. Troops lost control of the checkpoints for part of the day, but reinforcements from Kabul retook them.
Officials reported that some 200 Taliban fighters were involved in the attack, an unusually large operation far afield from the Taliban’s traditional strongholds across the south.
Afghan officials expressed hope they would recover some of the missing soldiers, speculating they may have fled as opposed to getting captured when the Taliban surged in.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- North Korea 'Threat' to Guam Greatly Overblown - August 15th, 2017
- South Korean President Says He Can Veto War Against North Korea - August 15th, 2017
- ICC Issues Warrant for Ally of Libyan Gen. Hafter for War Crimes - August 15th, 2017
- Taliban Open Letter Urges Trump to Withdraw US Troops From Afghanistan - August 15th, 2017
- Iran Threatens to Quit Nuclear Deal If US Keeps Adding Sanctions - August 15th, 2017