Taliban forces today overran multiple military checkpoints in Afghanistan’s far northeastern Badakhshan Province, killing at least 18, and potential several more as 12 remain unaccounted for.
Among the 18 killed, the Taliban beheaded eight of the Afghan soldiers. Troops lost control of the checkpoints for part of the day, but reinforcements from Kabul retook them.
Officials reported that some 200 Taliban fighters were involved in the attack, an unusually large operation far afield from the Taliban’s traditional strongholds across the south.
Afghan officials expressed hope they would recover some of the missing soldiers, speculating they may have fled as opposed to getting captured when the Taliban surged in.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Ambushes Shi'ite Militia in Iraq, Killing 27 - February 19th, 2018
- Ex-CIA Chief: US Meddles in Foreign Elections, But 'Only for a Very Good Cause' - February 18th, 2018
- Amid Worsening Tensions, Western Diplomats See Russia as 'Indispensable Partner' - February 18th, 2018
- Turkey: Chemical Weapons Use Allegations 'Baseless' - February 18th, 2018
- US Pushes Europe to Commit to Changing Iran Nuclear Deal - February 18th, 2018