As Israel ratchets up its lobbying to kill the Iran deal, they seem to be gaining ground in the Senate, complicating the Obama Administration’s attempt to convince Congressional leaders not to sabotage the pact.
Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R – KY) is condemning the deal, and insisting that Congress be given the power to veto any agreement the US makes with Iran during the talks.
To make matters worse, the soon-to-be Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D – NY) is taking pretty much the same position, demanding classified briefings on the nature of the deal and insisting that no matter what, Congress needs veto power.
Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz was the first of a series of administration officials planning to testify to Congress to explain the exact nature of the deal and why it is beneficial. They’ve got plenty of arguments to make in favor of the pact, but the real question is if Congress will even be listening, as many seem to have already made up their mind against the deal.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Putin: Israeli Air Raid a Breach of Syria's Sovereignty - September 18th, 2018
- Yemen Fishing Boat Attacked by Frigate Off Coast, 18 Fishermen Killed - September 18th, 2018
- Russian DM: Israeli Warplanes Caused Shoot-down of Russian Plane Near Syria; 15 Troops Killed - September 18th, 2018
- Taliban Kill at Least 27 Security Forces in Attacks Across Afghanistan - September 17th, 2018
- Iraq to Deploy More Troops to Turkey Border - September 17th, 2018