As Israel ratchets up its lobbying to kill the Iran deal, they seem to be gaining ground in the Senate, complicating the Obama Administration’s attempt to convince Congressional leaders not to sabotage the pact.
Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R – KY) is condemning the deal, and insisting that Congress be given the power to veto any agreement the US makes with Iran during the talks.
To make matters worse, the soon-to-be Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D – NY) is taking pretty much the same position, demanding classified briefings on the nature of the deal and insisting that no matter what, Congress needs veto power.
Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz was the first of a series of administration officials planning to testify to Congress to explain the exact nature of the deal and why it is beneficial. They’ve got plenty of arguments to make in favor of the pact, but the real question is if Congress will even be listening, as many seem to have already made up their mind against the deal.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu: The Bible Proves Jerusalem Is Israel's Capital - December 11th, 2017
- ISIS Is Gone, But Iraq's Main Refinery Remains in Ruins - December 11th, 2017
- US-Backed Syrian Kurds, Iraqi Army Coordinate at Border - December 11th, 2017
- Iran FM Urges Europe to Preserve Nuclear Deal - December 11th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Cleric Urges Fighters to Disarm - December 11th, 2017