Yemen’s Shi’ite Houthis are continuing their advance against the key southern city of Aden today, with reports coming out of the region of fierce fighting in several districts of the former South Yemen capital city.
Fighters loyal to exiled former President Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi claimed to have recaptured the Aden airport, though the airstrikes from Saudi forces have rendered much of it useless at any rate.
Five days of Saudi airstrikes have killed scores of civilians, including 45 today in an attack on a refugee camp. So far, however, they don’t seem to have even slowed the Houthis, their stated targets.
Rather, Houthi forces seem to be gaining ground at least as rapidly as ever, challenging the Sunni Islamist factions in Shabwa as well as the remaining loyalists of the Hadi regime.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran Says Will Leave Iraq, Syria Only If Those Countries Want Them To - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Over 100 Taliban in Southeast Offensive - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Civilians in Eastern Air Operations - July 13th, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills at Least 28 Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 13th, 2018
- Kremlin Hails Trump as 'Negotiating Partner' Ahead of Summit - July 13th, 2018