Speaking to the UN Security Council today, Human Rights Chief Zeid Raad al-Hussein affirmed calls to send ISIS to the International Criminal Court at the Hague over its abuses of religious minorities.
At the same time, Zeid marveled, one can’t help but notice that ISIS is more accepting of ethnic diversity than certain unnamed member states of the United Nations.
Zeid did not name any names in these comments, but noted that ISIS appears not to care a whit about the ethnicity of its residents, so long as they share the group’s Sunni Islamist ideology.
This probably should be expected, as ISIS has recruited fighters from across the globe, and would likely be much less successful in doing so if it persecuted those fighters as ethnic minorities within the caliphate.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition Offers Plan to 'Protect' Hodeidah as Civilians Flee - June 22nd, 2018
- Taliban Kill Four, Kidnap Scores in Southern Afghanistan Raid - June 22nd, 2018
- US, Afghan Forces Killed Over 160 ISIS in Three-Week Offensive - June 22nd, 2018
- North and South Korea Agree to New Round of Family Reunions - June 22nd, 2018
- Hamas Negotiating 'Comprehensive Deal' for Truce With Israel - June 22nd, 2018