Speaking to the UN Security Council today, Human Rights Chief Zeid Raad al-Hussein affirmed calls to send ISIS to the International Criminal Court at the Hague over its abuses of religious minorities.
At the same time, Zeid marveled, one can’t help but notice that ISIS is more accepting of ethnic diversity than certain unnamed member states of the United Nations.
Zeid did not name any names in these comments, but noted that ISIS appears not to care a whit about the ethnicity of its residents, so long as they share the group’s Sunni Islamist ideology.
This probably should be expected, as ISIS has recruited fighters from across the globe, and would likely be much less successful in doing so if it persecuted those fighters as ethnic minorities within the caliphate.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Drone Strikes Kill 31 People in Pakistan Tribal Areas - October 17th, 2017
- Catalonia Won't Renounce Independence, Despite Looming Deadline - October 17th, 2017
- Pentagon May Stop Training Iraqis Amid Kurdish Conflict - October 17th, 2017
- Kurdish Forces Abandon Territory In Face of Iraqi Offensive - October 17th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Declare Victory in Raqqa, But Face Complicated Peace - October 17th, 2017