Speaking to the UN Security Council today, Human Rights Chief Zeid Raad al-Hussein affirmed calls to send ISIS to the International Criminal Court at the Hague over its abuses of religious minorities.
At the same time, Zeid marveled, one can’t help but notice that ISIS is more accepting of ethnic diversity than certain unnamed member states of the United Nations.
Zeid did not name any names in these comments, but noted that ISIS appears not to care a whit about the ethnicity of its residents, so long as they share the group’s Sunni Islamist ideology.
This probably should be expected, as ISIS has recruited fighters from across the globe, and would likely be much less successful in doing so if it persecuted those fighters as ethnic minorities within the caliphate.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu Tells UN Chief That Golan Is Forever Israel's - February 16th, 2018
- Netanyahu Blocks West Bank Annexation, But Backs Taking More Control - February 16th, 2018
- Pentagon Watchdog: No Significant Progress Made in Afghanistan - February 16th, 2018
- Turkish Army Accused of Hitting Syria's Afrin With Gas Attack - February 16th, 2018
- US, Turkey Agree to Avoid Clash Over Manbij - February 16th, 2018