Speaking to the UN Security Council today, Human Rights Chief Zeid Raad al-Hussein affirmed calls to send ISIS to the International Criminal Court at the Hague over its abuses of religious minorities.
At the same time, Zeid marveled, one can’t help but notice that ISIS is more accepting of ethnic diversity than certain unnamed member states of the United Nations.
Zeid did not name any names in these comments, but noted that ISIS appears not to care a whit about the ethnicity of its residents, so long as they share the group’s Sunni Islamist ideology.
This probably should be expected, as ISIS has recruited fighters from across the globe, and would likely be much less successful in doing so if it persecuted those fighters as ethnic minorities within the caliphate.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition to Open Humanitarian Corridors Out of Yemen's Hodeidah Port - September 24th, 2018
- Trump Expects Announcement of Second Summit With North Korea 'Pretty Soon' - September 24th, 2018
- US Troops Will Remain in Syria, Officials Say - September 24th, 2018
- Bolton Slams Russia, Says S-300 Sale in Syria Is 'Significant Escalation' - September 24th, 2018
- Russia Will Provide S-300 Air Defense to Syria - September 24th, 2018