Speaking to the UN Security Council today, Human Rights Chief Zeid Raad al-Hussein affirmed calls to send ISIS to the International Criminal Court at the Hague over its abuses of religious minorities.
At the same time, Zeid marveled, one can’t help but notice that ISIS is more accepting of ethnic diversity than certain unnamed member states of the United Nations.
Zeid did not name any names in these comments, but noted that ISIS appears not to care a whit about the ethnicity of its residents, so long as they share the group’s Sunni Islamist ideology.
This probably should be expected, as ISIS has recruited fighters from across the globe, and would likely be much less successful in doing so if it persecuted those fighters as ethnic minorities within the caliphate.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Mattis Claims White House Threat to Syria 'Worked' - June 28th, 2017
- Saudis Demolish Historic Shi'ite Neighborhood, Sparking Unrest - June 27th, 2017
- Turkey, Kurdish Forces Trade Fire in North Syria's Afrin District - June 27th, 2017
- Mattis: US Will Keep Arming Syrian Kurds After Raqqa Falls - June 27th, 2017
- Russia: US Warning to Syria Is Unacceptable - June 27th, 2017