The White House has confirmed today that they are in contact with the Saudi Arabian government, and coordinating with them on the ongoing attack and pending invasion of Yemen.
The scope of US involvement in the war is still being fleshed out, but for now, President Obama has authorized the Pentagon to provide “logistical and intelligence support” to the Saudis, according to National Security Council officials.
Gen. Lloyd Austin says US military forces will also take steps to ensure that the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, off the Yemeni coast, remains open during the war. The strait is a key choke point for oil shipments to Europe.
Saudi warplanes began carrying out airstrikes on Yemen on Wednesday, and they have some 150,000 ground troops massed at the border, anticipating an invasion at some point in the near future.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Ambush the Result of 'Massive Intelligence Failure' - October 20th, 2017