Officials Confirm US to Provide Logistical Support for War
The White House has confirmed today that they are in contact with the Saudi Arabian government, and coordinating with them on the ongoing attack and pending invasion of Yemen.
The scope of US involvement in the war is still being fleshed out, but for now, President Obama has authorized the Pentagon to provide “logistical and intelligence support” to the Saudis, according to National Security Council officials.
Gen. Lloyd Austin says US military forces will also take steps to ensure that the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, off the Yemeni coast, remains open during the war. The strait is a key choke point for oil shipments to Europe.
Saudi warplanes began carrying out airstrikes on Yemen on Wednesday, and they have some 150,000 ground troops massed at the border, anticipating an invasion at some point in the near future.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey Air Raid Kills 200 Kurdish Fighters in Syria - October 20th, 2016
- EU Slams Russia as Putin Offers to Extend Aleppo Ceasefire - October 19th, 2016
- Hillary Clinton: Putin, WikiLeaks, Trump Plot to Hack the Election - October 19th, 2016
- Air Force Chief Sees Decades More of US Wars - October 19th, 2016
- US General: We Don't Support Shi'ite Militias in Mosul Offensive - October 19th, 2016