Officials Confirm US to Provide Logistical Support for War
The White House has confirmed today that they are in contact with the Saudi Arabian government, and coordinating with them on the ongoing attack and pending invasion of Yemen.
The scope of US involvement in the war is still being fleshed out, but for now, President Obama has authorized the Pentagon to provide “logistical and intelligence support” to the Saudis, according to National Security Council officials.
Gen. Lloyd Austin says US military forces will also take steps to ensure that the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, off the Yemeni coast, remains open during the war. The strait is a key choke point for oil shipments to Europe.
Saudi warplanes began carrying out airstrikes on Yemen on Wednesday, and they have some 150,000 ground troops massed at the border, anticipating an invasion at some point in the near future.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Boeing: If We Can't Have Iran, Nobody Should - July 22nd, 2016
- Deputy PM: Turkey's Mass Detentions Just 'the Tip of the Iceberg' - July 22nd, 2016
- Russia's June Attack on South Syria Rebel Base Was a Day After UK Troops Left - July 22nd, 2016
- US-Backed Syrian Rebels Kill 38 Troops in Aleppo Tunnel Bomb - July 22nd, 2016
- Red Crescent Recover 14 Executed Bodies From Army-Held Benghazi District - July 22nd, 2016