Al-Qaeda’s Syrian faction, Jabhat al-Nusra, is looking to make a huge strategic gain today, as it has announced a full-scale offensive against the northwestern city of Idlib, along the important Aleppo-Damascus highway.
Idlib has been contested a few times over the past several years, but is under military control right now. Some rebel factions control the surrounding area, however.
And al-Qaeda isn’t going to be attacking alone, as “moderate” Islamist faction Ahrar al-Sham has jointly signed the statement, saying they will accompany al-Qaeda on the attack.
Syrian state media hasn’t discussed the offensive against the city, but did confirm some fighting along the outskirts, in the Idlib Province.
Nusra has gained considerable territory in the northwest of Syria in recent months, first targeting US allied rebel factions and now moving against government territory.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu Tells UN Chief That Golan Is Forever Israel's - February 16th, 2018
- Netanyahu Blocks West Bank Annexation, But Backs Taking More Control - February 16th, 2018
- Pentagon Watchdog: No Significant Progress Made in Afghanistan - February 16th, 2018
- Turkish Army Accused of Hitting Syria's Afrin With Gas Attack - February 16th, 2018
- US, Turkey Agree to Avoid Clash Over Manbij - February 16th, 2018