The resolution claims Russia is plotting to take over eastern Ukraine, and cites Pentagon officials supporting arms shipments to the Ukrainian military. The resolution is non-binding.
The preamble to the resolution includes several factual errors about the Ukrainian conflict, including the bizarre claim that Russia’s annexation of Crimea undermined an international order established after World War 2. At the end of WW2, Crimea was still part of Russia’s Soviet Socialist Republic, and it had been Russian from the early 19th century.
Conspicuously absent in the incredibly wordy resolution is a single mention of the ongoing ceasefire, which has brought Ukraine’s Civil War to a virtual halt in recent weeks. The Obama Administration had sent only non-lethal aid, saying they didn’t want to imperil the ceasefire.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi King Shuffles Succession, Hawkish DM Is Now Crown Prince - June 21st, 2017
- US F-16 Intercepts Russian DM's Plane Over Baltic Sea - June 21st, 2017
- US Coast Guard Wants Icebreakers With Advanced Missiles - June 20th, 2017
- Senate Considers New Authorization for Global Terror War - June 20th, 2017
- Qatar: Hacking That Led to Split Originated in Blockading Countries - June 20th, 2017