Speaking to the Senate Armed Services Committee, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman General Martin Dempsey expressed support for providing “lethal aid” to the Ukrainian military for the ongoing civil war.
“It ought to be in the context of NATO allies because Putin’s ultimate objective is to fracture NATO,” Dempsey insisted. The Obama Administration has been “considering” such arms for weeks.
Dempsey’s call for new arms shipments is in spite of a ceasefire that was reached weeks ago in Minsk, but reflects Pentagon desires to insinuate themselves more directly in the Ukrainian Civil War, even if that means restarting it.
The US Army is planning to send 300 troops to western Ukraine on a “training” mission, and appears to intend to keep that many troops there through the end of October.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018