Former Mossad Chief Meir Dagan has been harshly critical of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on several occasions in the past, but today he warned the premier is taking “intolerable” risks with his US policy.
Dagan said Netanyahu had caused Israel “heavy strategic damage on the Iranian issue” by antagonizing the Obama Administration, saying his planned visit to DC is “doomed from the get-go.”
Dagan went on to warn that the US was getting so alienated that the “veto umbrella” Israel has long relied on to get away with flouting international norms in the occupied territories could disappear, and Israel would almost certainly start facing international sanctions if that were the case.
Dagan is said to be the main speaker at a major anti-Netanyahu rally scheduled for March 7. He was also critical of the latest Gaza War, saying it hadn’t accomplished anything but given Netanyahu a chance for “getting photographed with maps.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Koreas' Olympic Détente Upends US Strategy - January 17th, 2018
- Saudis Transfer $2 Billion to Prop Up Yemeni Allies' Currency - January 17th, 2018
- World Economic Forum Survey Sees More War in 2018 - January 17th, 2018
- Syrian Kurds Urge UN Action to Prevent Turkish Invasion - January 17th, 2018
- Turkey Says Will Attack Unless US Withdraws Support for Syrian Kurds - January 17th, 2018