The relationship between the United States and Israel is getting worse by the day, and Israeli Premier Benjamin Netanyahu continues to rail at the US in a way that is probably only going to get worse leading up to next month’s election.
Netanyahu has been furiously condemning the US for its nuclear negotiations with Iran, mostly recently claiming that since the US stopped sharing information he has come across secret information showing the deal is even worse than he imagined.
The State Department once again fired back on the allegation, saying that no deal even exists yet, so Netanyahu couldn’t possibly have secretly gotten a copy of it.
State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki says Netanyahu sounds like he knows more than the actual negotiators involved in the talks. The US has accused Netanyahu of leaking parts of the negotiations out of context to try to sabotage the talks.
Where would they get that idea? Well earlier this month Netanyahu publicly vowed he would do anything in his power to sabotage the negotiations between the United States and Iran.
Netanyahu is coming to speak to Congress early in March, just before the Israeli election, and seems to be running a campaign almost entirely on his own hostility toward the Obama Administration at this point. Expect that strategy to continue until the vote.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- State Dept: US to Open Israel's Jerusalem Embassy in May - February 23rd, 2018
- Pentagon Looks for Another Job for McMaster, Possibly Afghanistan - February 22nd, 2018
- Russia Blocks UN Ceasefire Call on Eastern Ghouta Over Islamists' Inclusion - February 22nd, 2018
- Aid Group Faults Saudi 'Aid' Plan for Yemen as War Tactic - February 22nd, 2018
- Top Turkish Official Accuses Kurds of Releasing ISIS for Terror Attacks - February 22nd, 2018