A new report from CNN reveals that the Obama Administration has created a “hit list” of suspected ISIS members it intends to kill. Officials say the project has been at work for months, with people getting added all the time.
Topping the list, unsurprisingly, is Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the caliph of the ISIS state in Iraq and Syria, and leader of the group. “Jihadi John,” the unidentified man with a British accent in some videos, is also up near the top of the list.
The “hit list” is largely aspirational for the US, as apart from a handful of very public officials in ISIS propaganda videos, have very little good idea of who the leaders of the group are and how it is organized.
Even to the extent they’ve gotten names, particularly in Syria the US concedes they have very little intelligence capabilities on the ground. The intelligence gaps are seriously limiting the airstrike campaign in that country.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Struggles With Fighting Between Turkey, Syrian Kurds, Two Key Allies - January 22nd, 2018
- Turkey Escalates Attack on Syrian Kurds - January 22nd, 2018
- Syrian Kurds May Send Reinforcements to Afrin to Fight Turkey - January 22nd, 2018
- Facebook Will Use Surveys to Decide What Is 'Trustworthy' News - January 22nd, 2018
- Pence Praises 'the Miracle of Israel,' Pledges Embassy Move in 2019 - January 22nd, 2018