A new report from CNN reveals that the Obama Administration has created a “hit list” of suspected ISIS members it intends to kill. Officials say the project has been at work for months, with people getting added all the time.
Topping the list, unsurprisingly, is Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the caliph of the ISIS state in Iraq and Syria, and leader of the group. “Jihadi John,” the unidentified man with a British accent in some videos, is also up near the top of the list.
The “hit list” is largely aspirational for the US, as apart from a handful of very public officials in ISIS propaganda videos, have very little good idea of who the leaders of the group are and how it is organized.
Even to the extent they’ve gotten names, particularly in Syria the US concedes they have very little intelligence capabilities on the ground. The intelligence gaps are seriously limiting the airstrike campaign in that country.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Foreign ISIS Fighters Left in Raqqa Face 'Certain Death' - October 22nd, 2017
- US-Made Vehicles Led Iraqi Invasion of Kurdish Town - October 22nd, 2017
- Niger Ambush Serves as Excuse for AFRICOM to Seek More Funds - October 22nd, 2017
- Catalan Leaders Vow to Resist Spain's Attempted Takeover - October 22nd, 2017
- Spain Seeks Huge Power Transfer in Trying to Oust Catalan Leadership - October 22nd, 2017